Thursday, May 27, 2010

Harley - the day he became a "keeper"

Harley was the only hairless in his litter of three. His mother Skippy was a smallish thing and her two litters with me were both small. Freckles' litter was two babies.

So we hung on to Harley out of hope that he might be "okay" - after all, we were just getting started in Cresties. Harley was Duncan's first litter, and, and....

Freckle was good looking, typey, showey and flakey. He looked good in the ring -- when you could get him to put 4 legs down at one time!

Harley, on the other hand, was very laid back, maybe even a little shy. Duncan, a Tri-colored Puff, had acquired some points, but was still lacking his majors when he was bred to Skippy and she never finished. Harley was clearly sound and moved around the back yard just fine, but he never looked thrilled in crowds. Hmmm.

So we were at a show weekend and the club was having a puppy match the first evening after the show. We took Freckle to see if we could teach him that walking and gaiting meant keeping most of your feet on the ground most of the time, a lesson that was still eluding him at the time. Harley came along just to see about getting him socialized. I imagined a long slow process of teaching him that rings could be fun.... pretty enough to win, yes - but where was the sparkle going to come from? Well, I thought, there is time. Freckle had a couple of points and finishing him was not going to be a 1-2-3 deal, despite his good looks.

Bill held Harley as we stood at ring side and he was clear that he did not think this was a fun idea. (actually both Bill and Harley shared that look!)

And so, expecting an almost embarrassing adventure, I slid him to the ground and into the ring. He stepped across the threshold of the ring and looked around with an unsure look as we moved into position for the first stacking. Even though we had practiced this "skill", Harley was not pleased to have me place any part of him in any particular place and almost took glee at moving everything at least once after I placed it. Sigh.

"Please gait your dogs and place them on the table."

Harley, have some bait and let's give this a try, okay?

Well, I am still not sure what went through that little head, but as I moved forward, up came the head and tail and Harley was ON. The little legs moved like a dream and as I gave him more lead he moved on out. I am sure that my expression was amusing. He had a great time and he was teaching me how to be his handler.

The table was "ok" because I still held him - he still does not like me to hold him on a table or on the ground. Grooming still earns me a scowl, although he had learned to hold better.

On the down and back I gave him lead and he was great! I was surprised! We came back to the judge and he looked up at him and cocked his head slightly. Then we gaited back into place and by now, I am clearly following Harley as the necessary appendage at the top of the lead.

I had never had a dog that looked so lack-luster at ringside and so spectacular in the ring!

He won that day and so his career was started. I knew we were going to have a lot of fun in the ring and I think he did too.

It became a game at some shows where there were exhibitors who did not know him. We would watch them size him up as no competition based on his ringside behavior. Boy, were they wrong! I used to watch their faces as Harley moved out in the ring.

And as soon as the showing was over, he was again the retiring shy one in Bill's arms or by Bill's feet.

It was always fun to watch Harley flip the switch as he entered the ring.

More about Harley tomorrow!

Thanks SO MUCH for reading this blog - I appreciate you!

Candy

No comments:

Post a Comment