Monday, May 17, 2010

Glitter and the flies

Glitter is a special HL girl. She is one of Freckles' few daughters, born from one of Sandy's girls. We picked her up from Sandy at a dog show when she was about 5 months and set out for home (Ohio then) with our new baby in tow. I don't remember which show it was, just the it was a fair distance on one of the turnpikes or toll roads.

We had been driving for a while, Bill driving the RV and me driving the van behind him. We drove into a rest stop where we "grassed" the dogs and then pulled over to stretch our own legs for a bit. Somebody there noticed the dogs in the van and the crates you could see from the front window of the RV and struck up a conversation. We talked, of course, about the Cresties - what a surprise! The people, not surprisingly, knew nothing about the breed, and so Bill decided to bring Glitter out for a little socialization.

Needless to say, there was considerable mutual love going back and forth and we even gave them our number for a possible future puppy. Nothing exciting or unusual so far.

Bill returned to the RV and I to the van as I waited for hi sign so that we could set out for the next part of the journey. He radioed that he needed to check something in the rear of the RV, so I waited. A few moments later, we set out.

Some time down the road, as Bill is talking to me on the CB, he breaks out in laughter and it's the kind that won't stop. Mind you, I have no idea what is causing his laughter, but at least the RV is still going straight.

What was so funny?

Well, it seems that when he stepped into the RV and realized that the back window or vent(I'm not sure which) needed to be closed, he put Glitter down "for a moment" while he tended to the immediate task. As he came forward, Glitter was not in sight - she had crawled under the passenger seat - and he was not accustomed to her in the "head count", so he slid into his seat without returning her to her crate.

Some time later, the black flies we had picked up at the show - about 300-400 or so (not that I exaggerate....) were buzzing about the RV. I guess they got to Glitter - I know they were bothering us! So Glitter demonstrated her amazing prowess by taking leaps and catching flies. According to Bill, she was amazing - a leap followed by a chomping sound.

So we stopped in the next rest stop and Bill returned her to her crate.

It is a skill and trait that she has passed on to her children. I have had reports of fly-leaping in her babies and I have seen it in some of them myself. And every time I see it or hear about it, I remember her in the RV - even though I never actually saw those first leaps....

Thanks for reading! I appreciate you!

Candy

No comments:

Post a Comment